Introduction to R for Programmers Training Course & Certification
Audience & Prerequisites
Introduction to R for Programmers Course Overview
R is a scripting language for statistical data manipulation and analysis. It was inspired by, and is mostly compatible with, the statistical language S developed by AT&T. The name S, obviously standing for statis- tics, was an allusion to another programming language developed at AT&T with a one-letter name, C. S later was sold to a small firm, which added a GUI interface and named the result S-Plus. R has become more popular than S/S-Plus, both because it’s free and because more people are contributing to it. R is sometimes called ‘GNU S.
Objectives of R Programming Training
- a public-domain implementation of the widely-regarded S statistical language; R/S is the de facto standard among professional statisticians
- comparable, and often superior, in power to commercial products in most senses
- available for Windows, Macs, Linux
- In addition to enabling statistical operations, it’s a general programming language, so that you can automate your analyses and create new functions
- object-oriented and functional programming structure
- your data sets are saved between sessions, so you don’t have to reload each time
- open-software nature means it’s easy to get help from the user community, and lots of new functions get contributed by users, many of which are prominent statisticians
Prerequisites for R Programming Certification
The only real prerequisite is that you have some programming experience; you need not be an expert pro-grammer, though experts should find the material suitable for their level too.Occasionally there will be some remarks aimed at professional programmers, say about object-oriented programming or Python, but these remarks will not make the treatment inaccessible to those having only a moderate background in programming.